Thursday, August 7, 2008

Flick: 'Swing Vote' with Kevin Costner

3 1/2 stars out of 5.

This was surprisingly good, even if it was a little predictable. Kevin Costner plays Bud Johnson, a guy barely existing, more liking beer than his job or his daughter. His daughter repeatedly tries to get him to care about something, perhaps anything, but always failing. As it turns out, Bud is the guy who will decide a presidential election. In the movie, it's not as implausible as it sounds.

Of course, Bud at first loves the attention, is easily gullible, and proceeds to piss away his chance at truly making a difference. But as movies often go, he undergoes a character arc where he is able to redeem himself, especially so in his daughter's eyes.

I know, it sounds cheesy, but it worked for me. Probably because I love my own daughters so much, and a sweet relationship was depicted between Bud and his daughter.

1 comment:

Eric Soyke said...

I wish Bud would kick Joe the Plumber's ass.