Friday, August 8, 2008

Blues: Lizz Fields

Lizz Fields is not precisely a blues singer, but she puts her heart and soul into everything she sings, so that's blues for me.

Her latest release 'Pleasureville' is first rate stuff. Her style is more jazz-inflected pop, although this release by her is more urban sounding. Her first release, 'By Day By Night', was definitely in an old school soul style.

All the tracks on 'Pleasureville' a worth a listen, but the standout tracks are the title track, 'Brooklyn Flowers', 'I'm Waiting', and 'Sugah'. 'Sugah' is pop radio fare and while I didn't like it too much at first, it's infectious and I'm loving it now. On 'I'm Waiting' she successfully conveys a foot-tapping mood, all with the nuance of her voice.

Check her out, she's great. Her myspace page has samples, give 'em a listen: myspace.com/misslizzfields .

No comments: