Friday, August 8, 2008

Blues: Shemekia Copeland

Shemekia Copeland is a great blues singer, a belter like few are. She is simply fantastic live, as I've never seen her where she didn't absolutely give her all. Try to catch her perform, even if you don't know her music, you'll be entertained. She's the daughter of Texas blues legend Johnny Copeland, but she definitely has her own style and chops.

But her music is top notch contemporary blues. I first discovered her by happening upon a free track from her, 'Whole Lotta Water' off of her initial release, 'Turn The Heat Up'. I loved the power in her voice, and even better loved her 'old school' sound. After hearing a few more samples, I bought the CD and loved it. I also bought her next release, 'Wicked', and loved that. Now I buy everything by her and even got the last 2 releases autographed.

My least favorite release of hers is 'Talking To Strangers'. It was produced by New Orleans bluesman Dr. John (aka Mac Rebbenack). It feels restrained to me, he doesn't appear to let Shemekia loose. Indeed, in interviews regarding the release Shemekia mentions that Rebbenack requested her to reign in her vocals. This is a big mistake in my opinion, although the release features several good songs, such as 'Talking To Strangers', 'Sholanda's', and 'Don't Whisper I Love You'.

Her first release 'Turn The Heat Up' features the title cut, 'Married To The Blues', and her father's 'Ghetto Child'. She also sings the living crap out of 'Ghetto Child' live. I mean that sincerely, I got chills when she sings of the part where the girl has no shoes. Everything on the 'Turn The Heat Up' release is very good, so get it.

Her next release 'Wicked' rocks out a bit more. Standout cuts here are 'Wild Wild Woman' (she also does this terrific live), '3 AM', and 'Miss Hy Ciditty', but all are quite good and worth a listen.

My favorite release of hers is 'The Soul Truth', produced by Steve Cropper. This sounds a lot like an old Stax / Volt release and it's simply excellent. Stand out cuts here are 'Who Stole My Radio?', 'Honey Do That Voo Doo', but everything here is first rate.

If you love old school soul and blues, you'll love her. Here's her website: http://www.shemekiacopeland.com .

No comments: