Friday, February 6, 2009

"Real" Oldies on eMusic

Yes, eMusic has a lot of poorly made remakes of oldies masquerading as the real thing. Sometimes it's hard to tell until you download and really listen to realize they are remakes.

But here are a few oldies in their original release on eMusic. These are the fun kind of oldies, and while I downloaded them because I thought my daughter might like them, I found I liked singing along with them.

Stampeders - Sweet City Woman, you can find it here. This is one of the great forgotten songs from the early 70s. This has the scorching banjo, a terrific vocal, and it's great fun. I haven't downloaded the other tracks on the album, but I'm going to sample a few and check it out.

George McCrae - Rock Your Baby, The Very Best Of George McCrae, you can find it here. Another great forgotten single from the 70s. An irresistible beat, a great vocal with a falsetto trill, and you've got another songs that makes you smile. I did download 'It's Been So Long', and it's a fine track also.

Bobby Sherman - All Time Greatest Hits, you can find it here. This is bubblegum music at it's finest(?). But I really enjoyed singing along with 'Little Woman', 'Julie Do You Love Me?', and 'Easy Come, Easy Go'. If you like nostalgia from the 60s, get this, it's fun.

The Cufflinks - Tracy, you can find it here. I didn't grab any of the other songs here, but 'Tracy' is nice sing-along song. Ron Dante was the force behind this, as he was with the next entry.

The Archies - Greatest Hits, you can find it here. Does your heart still go 'Bang-Shang-A-Lang'? Your teeth may dissolve from this, but I'll bet you know all the words to these.

Mary Wells - All The Best Of Mary Wells, you can find it here. Warning, the recording quality of these are very low, but these are the originals.

No comments: