Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Levon Helm and the RCO Allstars - Live at the Palladium in NYC, New Years '77

Welcome to my revised blog. I'm going to write about songs I get monthly from my download service, eMusic.com. eMusic is a place for independent artists, although there is a lot of mainstream stuff or more obscure releases from known artists. For instance, Levon Helm, better known as the drummer for The Band and he played Loretta Lynn's father in "Coal Miners Daughter".

Levon Helm and the RCO Allstars - Live at the Palladium in NYC, New Years '77.
You can find it here. This is a good release by Levon Helm (on drums and vocals), featuring Duck Dunn on bass, Lou Marini on sax, Dr. John (aka Mac Rebennack) on keyboards and vocals, Paul Butterfield on harp and vocals, and Steve Cropper and Fred Carter, Jr on guitar. All the songs are strong, although I'd be hard pressed to point to a standout. The pure genre is blues, but it sounds kind of funky like Memphis soul in a lot of parts. I find myself really enjoying the harp contributions from Butterfield.
4 stars out of 5.

1 comment:

Amanda said...

I had no idea this was even there. Love Levon, love The Band and wow, Steve Cropper, Duck Dunn, Dr John, Paul Butterfield. I'm there, downloaded. Thanks.